November 30, 2016 10:45 pm

Online date starts with alleged kidnapping and leads to police standoff

WATCH: A woman who met a man online for a date was kidnapped and bound before making a daring escape, jumping from a moving truck. After her escape the woman called 9-1-1 and police began to pursue the truck. Christopher Kent Garcy, 41 crashed his truck in the pursuit and began a shootout with police before eventually surrendering. Wynton Yates reports.


The night began as an online meet up, turned wrong with an attempted kidnapping and ended in a shootout with police.

Police from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Department say the odd story began Tuesday night when a woman agreed to meet 41-year-old Christopher Kent Garcie Tuesday at a house in Lacombe, La.

READ MORE: Most online daters risk online security in exchange for true love: study

Story continues below

When she arrived, the suspect allegedly posed as a police officer and said he was arresting her for prostitution.

Garcie bound her hands with zip-ties and blindfolded her, police say, before putting her in his truck.

But she managed to escape, allegedly jumping from the vehicle before calling 911.

Jefferson Parish Sheriff Newell Normand told WDSU News the woman was safe and uninjured.

After receiving the call, deputies from Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s department, and St. Tammany Sherriff’s department, as well as Mandeville Police and Louisiana State Police tracked down the truck and started chasing it, just before 9 p.m. ET.

READ MORE: Assault victim warns others to stay vigilant on dating sites

“Spike strips were deployed to try and deflate the tires; he avoided them on numerous occasions during this chase,” Normand explained at the scene.

Police say they shot at the car during the chase, and Garcie shot back, before wrecking his truck.

What followed was a standoff that ended after a successful negotiation, with help from the suspect’s mother, who police brought to the scene.

“What we have now could potentially be a minimum of three, possibly as much as 8-10 different crime scenes that we’re piecing together. That would include every time there was an exchange of gunfire, obviously the kidnapping and [the standoff],” Normand told WDSU.

The chase and the standoff lasted more than two hours.

Garcie was arrested on scene, and was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Normand told WWL News one officer sustained a graze wound to the finger.

Lacombe is around 70 kilometres north of New Orleans.

© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.