October 3, 2016 1:34 pm
Updated: October 3, 2016 2:36 pm

Winnipeg councillors looking to trash city’s latest collection plan

Several city councillors want a decision on Winnipeg's new garbage plan, delayed.

A A

WINNIPEG — A growing  number of city councillors are asking the Water and Waste Committee to hit the pause button before awarding new contracts to two private waste management companies.

Winnipeg’s current waste management company is Emterra and Progressive Waste Solutions.  Last week the waste department revealed Emterra’s bid was not successful and its term with the city will expire next fall.

RELATED: Winnipeg garbage contractor under investigation

Waste management officials have instead recommended two separate companies handle garbage pickup: Miller Waste to handle the northwest neighbourhoods of the city and GFL for the southwest.

Both proposed contracts would run from Oct.1, 2017 until Jan.31, 2025.

WATCH: Winnipeg garbage woes could end Emterra’s contract

It is not yet known if this will result in higher collection costs for Winnipeggers in 2017 but the cost of the service is more.

Currently Winnipeg spends about $18 million per year on garbage collection. Under the new proposed plan, those costs would jump to $24.8 million per year.

Wyatt, who said he considers waste disposal as a “core service” provided by municipalities, thinks the city should look into other possibilities and timelines for the new companies involved.

Water and Waste Committee Chair Brian Mayes however said delaying a decision would re-create “the gong show” that Emterra faced.

© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.