KELOWNA, B.C. – A single bottle of Okanagan VQA wine has been chosen the Premier’s Award winner at the 2016 B.C. Wine Awards.
Kelowna’s Spierhead Winery’s 2014 Pinot Noir Cuvee was selected best wine in the province this year.
The industry chose Summerhill Pyramid Winery Owner Stephen Cipes for the Founders Award, recognizing his contributions to the industry.
Cipes is attempting to create an entire organic Okanagan Valley by 2020, starting a petition.
More than 600 wines from around B.C. competed for awards this year.
The awards evening kicked off the 36th annual Okanagan Fall Wine Festival.
Platinum awards went to:
- Road 13 Vineyards Sparkling Chenin Blanc 2012
- Summerhill Pyramid Winery Cipes Blanc de Blanc 2010
- Mission Hill Family Estate Reserve Chardonnay 2014
- Red Rooster Winery Riesling 2015
- SpierHead Winery Pinot Noir Cuvee 2014
- Deep Roots Winery Syrah 2014
- TIME Estate Winery Syrah 2013
- CedarCreek Estate Winery Platinum The Last Word 2013