SaskEnergy says an explosion that left flames shooting into the sky for several days at a Saskatchewan natural gas storage facility two years ago was caused by a leak in a section of steel pipe.
The Crown corporation recently completed an investigation into the October 2014 fire, which occurred at a TransGas facility near Prud’homme.
The pipe was located about two metres underground.
Investigators said gas moved up from the leak and was released through a valve on the side of a cavern wellhead.
The resulting force damaged the wellhead and a nearby building, which caused a spark and left flames shooting 30 metres into the air.
Thirteen nearby residents were forced from their homes until the fire was brought under control, and specially trained responders from the oil and gas industry were called to extinguish the blaze.