Advertisement

RCMP plead not guilty to Labour Code charges in Moncton shooting

RCMP to plead not guilty on labour code charges in Moncton massacre
WATCH ABOVE: The deadly shootings of three RCMP officers in Moncton in June 2014 resulted in four labour code charges against the force. With a not guilty plea, the victims' families are worried about what will happen next. Ross Lord reports.

New Brunswick RCMP have pleaded not guilty to four Labour Code charges stemming from the June 2014 shooting rampage in Moncton.

Justin Bourque was sentenced to life in prison with no eligibility for parole for 75 years after pleading guilty to three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.

Constables Doug Larche, Dave Ross and Fabrice Gevaudan lost their lives on June 4, 2014, and two other officers were wounded.

Employment and Social Development Canada alleges there were four violations of the code relating to the force’s equipment, training and supervision in the June 4, 2014 incident that resulted in the deaths of three Mounties.

Each of the charges comes with a fine of up to $1 million.

Story continues below advertisement

The trial is set to begin April 17, 2017. The Crown says it could take several months to try the case.

The RCMP was expected to enter pleas and set a trial date during a court appearance in Moncton last month, but defence lawyer Ian Carter says the Crown and defence needed more time to discuss narrowing the issues in the case.

Both sides had previously asked for more time in what they described as a complex case during a court appearance in January.

WATCH: 16×9’s investigation “Under Fire”

The Public Prosecution Service of Canada recommended last year that the RCMP be prosecuted for contravention of occupational health and safety provisions.

A five-month 16×9 investigation, Under Fire, raised questions about officer training and equipment prior to the shooting. Click on the links below for related coverage.

Story continues below advertisement

With files from Heide Pearson, Global News.