Advertisement

Alberta teen injured after he says e-cigarette exploded

Click to play video: 'Lethbridge teen says e-cigarette exploded causing second-degree burns, shattered teeth'
Lethbridge teen says e-cigarette exploded causing second-degree burns, shattered teeth
WATCH ABOVE: A 16-year-old Lethbridge boy is suffering first and second degree burns after he says an electronic cigarette exploded in his mouth. Kimberly Tams has the story and a warning that some viewers find the images disturbing – Jan 26, 2016

WARNING: This story contains disturbing images.

Lethbridge, Alta.- An Alberta teen is facing a long and expensive recovery after being injured when he says an e-cigarette blew up on him.

According to Ty Greer, he and a friend were smoking an e-cigarette when Ty said it exploded in his mouth.

“It was horrible,” said Perry Greer, Ty’s father. “No father should have to witness that.”

Perry said his son suffered first and second-degree burns as a result of the explosion. Pictures of the teen reveal charred, blackened skin and fractured teeth.

“There was a fireball about two feet and it started his gym bag on fire,” Perry explained.

Breaking news from Canada and around the world sent to your email, as it happens.
For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News' Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

According to Perry, Ty’s mother drove him to the hospital and he arrived later to comfort him. He said his son’s pain was so severe that he just held him until the morphine kicked in.

Story continues below advertisement
Ty Greer says his e-cigarette exploded on him, causing severe burns.

Ty’s brother Zane said the incident has brought him and his brother closer.

“The whole situation has given me a new perspective on how I feel about my brother,” said Zane. “I was so close to losing him.”

Perry described Ty as a talented hockey player who has never smoked tobacco. He said his son purchased the e-cigarette from a store in north Lethbridge. The owner of the store declined comment to Global News.

“I have talked with the owner of the store,” said Perry. “He’s very remorseful. He cried the whole time I talked to him.”

Ty now faces a series of expensive dental surgeries as he prepares for a long recovery.

Sponsored content

AdChoices