A neighbourhood dispute over a marijuana dispensary on the Sunshine Coast has resulted in a police raid.
The edibles at the S&M Sweet Shop in Sechelt were taken away, after RCMP with a search warrant raided the business last Saturday.
Since then, the co-owner has made another edible marijuana pie because he says he needs it to control the pain from an old workplace injury.
“If we actually went recreational and sold it at a store, it would probably be around $2500,” boasts Doug Sikora, co-owner of the dispensary with his wife Michelle.
Get daily National news
They’ve operated S&M Sweets out of their home for four years, but in the last year they say one neighbour has been complaining to police.
Multiple people who lived by S&M Sweet Shop emailed Global News, but refused to go on camera, saying they feared retribution.
The raid comes on the same week search warrants were executed on Nanaimo pot shops, and Vancouver has also seen a number of dispensaries raided in recent months.
READ MORE: Search warrants executed on Nanaimo pot shops
But RCMP say there’s no coordinated crackdown.
“We didn’t target it specifically because it was selling marijuana, or for the purpose of cracking down the sale of marijuana,” says Sechelt RCMP Cst. Harrison Mohr.
“This business was targeted both because it was selling marijuana edibles without the proper restrictions in place, and also because of the residential neighbourhood it was in.”
The Sihotas, who claim to have 500 clients, say they’ll fight to reopen.
“We’re not going to give up. We have way too many people that are depending on us right now,” says Michelle.
- Former prince Andrew ‘released under investigation’ 11 hours after arrest
- Former prince Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
- Tumbler Ridge school shooting victim set to hopefully return home soon from Vancouver hospital
- Shia LaBeouf arrested after fight during Mardi Gras in New Orleans
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.