TORONTO – Toronto Mayor John Tory says the city’s latest traffic enforcement blitz is about giving people “a jolt again” by reminding them that illegal street parking during rush hour causes significant traffic congestion.
“The signs have been up there for 30 years saying no parking, no stopping during rush hour,” the mayor said during an interview on Global’s The Morning Show on Monday.
WATCH: Mayor John Tory explains the blitz
The city has once again launched another tag-and-tow blitz beginning Oct. 5 to curb rush hour congestion.
“When your car is towed, it’s horrifying. You walk out and you say, ‘I’m sure I left it here’, and then you realize where it’s gone and you have to go to this place to get it,” said Tory.
“It’s not pleasant and it’s expensive. $150 for the ticket and $200 for the tow. It’s the only way we’re going to change behaviour.”
The heightened enforcement campaign will focus on morning, mid-day and afternoon rush hour routes in the downtown core.
Activities include tackling gridlock by ticketing and towing vehicles blocking these routes.
“I hope what is starting this morning will give people a jolt again and get the traffic moving,” Tory said.
In January 2015, police provided additional resources to tackle congestion and gridlock in the downtown core.
Since then, 61,830 tickets have been handed out and 12,354 vehicles have been towed, according to police.
Police have also targeted habitual offenders, towing 10,942 vehicles with Ontario licence plates and 964 vehicles with out-of-province licence plates.
Mayor John Tory and Police Chief Mark Saunders announced the renewed tagging and towing blitz last month.