WINNIPEG — Environment Canada has placed southeastern and parts of central Manitoba under a special weather statement.
Heavy rainfall along with very strong northerly winds, possibly gale force, are expected over the weekend.
The weather is an effect of a low pressure system that will move into Manitoba Saturday morning. Rain will start as the low approaches and is expected to continue into Sunday. Winds will pick up late Saturday night with gusts possible out of the north up to 80 kilometres an hour.
Rain should end by Sunday afternoon in the Red River Valley but will last into the evening further east. 25-45 mm of rain is expected to fall from the beginning of the weekend until Sunday but may exceed 50 mm.
Full list of communities under special weather statement:
- City of Winnipeg
- Selkirk – Gimli – Stonewall – Woodlands – Eriksdale
- Portage la Prairie – Headingley – Brunkild – Carman
- Dugald – Beausejour – Grand Beach
- Morden – Winkler – Altone – Emerson – Morris
- Steinbach – St. Adolphe – Dominion City – Vita – Richer
- Bissett – Nopiming Provincial Park – Pine Falls
- Whiteshell – Lac du Bonnet – Pinawa
- Sprague – Northwest Angle Provincial Forest
- Arborg – Hecla – Fisher River – Gypsumville – Ashern
- Poplar River
- Berens River – Little Grand Rapids – Bloodvein – Atikaki