WATCH ABOVE: Footage captures huge, violent Manitoba tornado
WINNIPEG – Environment Canada has confirmed a tornado has touched down in southwestern Manitoba on Monday night.
The hit near Tilston, Man., close to the Saskatchewan and U.S. borders. around 9:30 p.m. CT. Another tornado was reported to have touched down near Melita just before 8:30 CT.
Environment Canada had issued several tornado warnings for parts of southwestern Manitoba including the rural municipalities of Pipestone, Sifton and Wallace.
The warnings were issued just after 8 p.m. CT and also covered Oak Lake, Virden, Elkhorn and Deleau.
Environment Canada received a report of a tornado touching down north east of Virden at 10:55 p.m Monday.
Photos and videos posted to Twitter show what appear to be funnel clouds touching to the ground in rural areas near Melita, Tilston and Edward in Manitoba.
Environment Canada said a tornado reported near Sinclair, Man., had become “rainwrapped” and hard to see, calling it “a dangerous and potentially life-threatening situation.”
READ MORE: What to do during a tornado warning
“Go indoors to a room on the lowest floor, away from outside walls and windows, such as a basement, bathroom, stairwell or interior closet,” Environment Canada said in a statement. “Leave mobile homes, vehicles, tents, trailers and other temporary or free-standing shelter, and move to a strong building if you can.”
The following municipalities had a tornado watch in place Monday:
- Municipality of Shoal Lake including Shoal Lake and Oakburn
- R.M. of Archie including McAuley Manson and Willen
- R.M. of Birtle including Foxwarren and Solsgirth
- R.M. of Blanshard including Oak River and Cardale
- R.M. of Clanwilliam including Erickson
- R.M. of Ellice including St-Lazare
- R.M. of Hamiota including McConnell and Lavinia
- R.M. of Harrison including Sandy Lake and Newdale
- R.M. of Langford including Neepawa and Hallboro
- R.M. of Miniota including Miniota and Bird Tail Creek Res.
- R.M. of Minto including Minnedosa and Clanwilliam
- R.M. of Odanah south of Minnedosa including Moore Park
- R.M. of Park including Onanole
- R.M. of Rosedale including Eden and Kelwood
- R.M. of Rossburn including Waywayseecappo Res.
- R.M. of Russell including Binscarth and Gambler Res.
- R.M. of Saskatchewan including Rapid City and Basswood
- R.M. of Silver Creek including Angusville and Silverton
- R.M. of Strathclair including Strathclair and Elphinstone
- Riding Mountain Nat. Park
- R.M. of Daly including Rivers and Wheatland
- R.M. of Glenwood including Souris
- R.M. of Pipestone including Pipestone and Oak Lake Res.
- R.M. of Sifton including Oak Lake and Deleau
- R.M. of Wallace including Virden and Elkhorn
- R.M. of Whitehead including Alexander and Beresford
- R.M. of Woodworth including Kenton and Sioux Valley Res.
Storm chasers from across North America have gathered in southeastern Saskatchewan and southwestern Manitoba to track the extreme weather.
Many of the chasers will be tweeting with the hashtags #mbstorm and #skstorm. We’ll collect their tweets in this live blog so you can stay up to date with the extreme weather.
To get real-time weather for your area, download the Global News Skytracker weather app.