Family abandons sprawling home after creepy letters from ‘The Watcher’

WATCH ABOVE:  A large six-bedroom home in New Jersey…is being watched. At least according to a lawsuit filed by its new owners who paid $1.3 million for their “dream home” in the picturesque town of Westfield. 

A New Jersey family has abandoned their sprawling, six-bedroom, $1.3-million home after they received anonymous letters claiming they were being watched.

The anonymous letters, signed by “The Watcher,” began arriving three days after the Broaddus family took possession of the house in June 2014.

The Watcher says in the letters that his father and grandfather watched the home through the 1900s and “it is now my time.”

“[The house] has been the subject of my family for decades,” the Watcher explains, according to The Gothamist. “I have be [sic] put in charge of watching and waiting for its second coming. My grandfather watched in the 1920s and my father watched it in the 1960s. It is now my time.”
Story continues below advertisement

The Watcher claims in another letter, excerpted by, that he is “in charge.”

“All the windows and door in (the house) allow me to watch you and track you as you move through the house.”

The Broaddus family is suing the former owners, John and Andrea Woods, who they accuse of knowing about the letters and saying nothing.

The letters, directed at the young family, seem like they are straight out of a horror movie.  The Broaddus family has three young kids, according to CBS News and abandoned the house after they started receiving the letters, some of which appear to reference their kids.

In one letter, according to, The Watcher says he asked the previous owners to bring him “young blood.”

“Do you need to fill the house with the young blood I requested?” another letter reads. “Have you found all the secrets it holds. Will the young bloods play in the basement. Who has the bedrooms facing the street? I will know as soon as you move in.”

The cryptic messages were even brought up during a Westfield city council meeting on Tuesday when Mayor Andy Skibitsky said the police have “conducted an exhaustive investigation.” No charges have been laid.

Sponsored content