WATCH ABOVE: Our new Chief Weather Anchor Jesse Beyer will make his on-air debut on Monday evening. In order to get to know our newest weather guy, Mike Sobel sat down with Jesse on the Morning News.
EDMONTON — Global Edmonton is pleased to introduce Jesse Beyer as our new chief weather anchor and soon-to-be meteorologist.
An impending graduate of Mississippi State’s meteorological program, Jesse brings both passion and commitment to his craft. He comes to us from CTV Edmonton, where he spent the past three years anchoring the morning and noon weather. Before that he was a weather anchor at Global Saskatoon, and got his start in Medicine Hat after graduating from the NAIT Radio and Television program in 2010.
“We’re delighted to have Jesse Beyer join our news team,” said News Director Michael Fulmes. “He is a weather fanatic, true to his craft and his audience, and a perfect fit for Global Edmonton.”
Jesse joins the weather team of Mike Sobel, Kevin O’Connell and Margeaux Morin. Starting Monday, July 27, he will co-anchor the Early News at 5 and News Hour at 6, working with our news team to ensure viewers always have the most current weather information.
Jesse replaces Nicola Crosbie, who left earlier this year to host a morning radio show on 95.7 Cruz FM.
Here’s 10 things to know about Jesse:
- Jesse grew up in Saskatoon, but has spent most of his adult life in Edmonton. He also lived in Australia for a year after high school.
- Jesse loves the weather because there’s always something going on, but he wasn’t always a science geek. Growing up, his favourite parts of school were recess and gym.
- Jesse’s favourite hobbies are golf and lacrosse. If he could master any new skill it would be hockey. Why? It seems fun, and professionals are well-paid.
- His favourite season is fall, but for work purposes, he likes summer because storm season can be exciting to cover.
- Jesse considers himself more of a country than a city guy, and enjoys fishing and hunting.
- His favourite Edmonton event is K-Days. He likes the atmosphere, but isn’t a huge fan of rides.
- If you were to look through his iTunes library, the most-played artists would be a tie between indietronica band Passion Pit and rapper Notorious B.I.G.
- Jesse is ambidextrous. He writes with his right hand, but uses his left hand for shooting, aiming a bow and for playing pool and guitar.
- If Jesse could only watch one film franchise for the rest of his life, it would be the Back to the Future trilogy.
- In answer to the classic question, “Would you rather fight a hundred duck-sized horses, or one horse-sized duck?”, Jesse chose the horse-sized duck, because there’s only one to focus on, and angry ducks seem less vicious than angry horses.
Editor’s Note: This story was originally published on June 2. It was updated on July 27.