TORONTO – Ontario’s outspoken ombudsman, Andre Marin, has been reappointed for a four-month stint after he took to Twitter asking supporters to pressure the government into giving him another term.
Marin, who is an avid Twitter user, took to the social media platform Wednesday night to make a public plea to have his contract extended.
“Not to appear precipitous or anything, but after 10 + years on the job, was told I’d b re-appointed temporarily for at least 4 months when my term expired,” Marine wrote.
Marin’s term in office officially expires Friday, May 29 after more than a decade on the job.
“Yep. In less than 48 hours, u have no Ombudsman. Time to make ur voice heard,” he stated on Twitter.
He is the province’s sixth ombudsman since the office was established in 1975 and the first to be reappointed in 2010. Marin took on the role in 2005.
The task of overseeing the ombudsman’s appointment is the responsibility of Government House Leader Yasir Naqvi.
City of Toronto Ombudsman Fiona Crean, who is stepping down from her current role this year, has applied for the Queen’s Park position.
Marin’s tweets drew a number of supportive responses from the public.
Naqvi said he finally reached agreement with the opposition parties to reappoint Marin until September 14.
Sources say about 60 people have applied for the provincial ombudsman’s position.
Marin, who delivered a scathing report on Hydro One’s billing problems earlier this week, sought support on social media Wednesday night and warned Ontario could be without an ombudsman as of Friday afternoon.