Advertisement

New Brunswick to fight $105M lawsuit filed by energy company

Pumpjacks at work pumping crude oil near Halkirk, Alta., June 20, 2007.
Pumpjacks at work pumping crude oil near Halkirk, Alta., June 20, 2007. Larry MacDougal/The Canadian Press

FREDERICTON, N.B. – The Province of New Brunswick intends to fight a $105-million lawsuit filed by a natural gas exploration company last month.

Calgary-based resource company Windsor Energy is suing the New Brunswick government and former Natural Resources Minister Bruce Northrup, for defamation. He claims his company’s been “done wrong on a very high level.”

“We had hoped that we could settle something with the government prior to coming to this stage,” said Windsor Energy’s CEO Khalid Amin in an interview with Global News on Aug. 15.

“We had informed of our intentions and the strength of our case and the things that have been done wrong. But they chose to bury their heads in the sand and consequently we filed suit.”

In documents obtained by Global News, the province filed a ‘notice of intent to defend’ with the Fredericton courthouse on Sept. 8.

Story continues below advertisement

The suit stems from public statements made by then-Minister of Natural Resources Bruce Northrup back in 2011.

At that time, the company had a license and was exploring about 150,000 net acres near Sussex, N.B. for possible shale gas resources.

But a complaint was made when the company conducted seismic testing inside the town’s municipal border before getting their written permission.

On November 2, 2011 Northrup said in a press release that the department had done an investigation, and had turned their findings over to the RCMP.

None of the allegations have been proven in court.