August 2, 2014 3:56 pm

38-year-old Abbotsford man dies after ingesting fentanyl

File photo.

File/Global News

VANCOUVER – Police in Abbotsford are investigating after a 38-year-old man died from ingesting fentanyl.

Police say they were contacted by staff at Abbotsford Regional Hospital on Friday, Aug. 1, at about 3 p.m.

The man had been transported to hospital after he was found in medical distress inside his home in the 2100-block of Peardonville Road. A bag of white powdery substance was found in close proximity to the man and an analysis revealed it was fentanyl.

Fentanyl is a potent, synthetic opioid analgesic that poses dangers because of its rapid absorption into the human body. Police say it is believed that the man ingested a small quantity of fentanyl before going into medical distress. The man has since passed away in hospital.

The Abbotsford Police Department extends condolences to the family and friends of the 38-year-old man.

Anyone with information about this incident should contact the Abbotsford Police Department at 604-859-5225, text us at 222973 (abbypd) or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

© 2014 Shaw Media

Report an error


Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.

Global News