Tacked on the plywood fence keeping intruders away from the long-closed St-Eusèbe-de-Verceil church in Montreal, next to “Free Gaza” and anti-police graffiti, is a poem.
“This church is no more,” begins the unnamed poet. A few lines later, the handwritten verse concludes: “Why is the building moulding too?”
Officials at the once-stately Montreal Catholic church are asking the same question.
After years of neglect, a fire, hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines from the city and repeated break-ins from urban explorers and teens seeking TikTok fame, the church has taken the unusual step of taking the City of Montreal to court to have the building demolished.
With the number of parishioners dwindling and as provincial funding to restore religious buildings dries up, underused churches across Quebec are in a race to transform into something more relevant to the times before they slowly fall into pieces like St-Eusèbe-de-Verceil.
Keeping intruders out has become a huge effort for the parish fabrique — the legal entity that owns the church — and for 77-year-old priest Roger Dufresne.
Get daily National news
“They use all kinds of tools to break the windows, break the doors, get inside,” he said. “For young people, it’s mostly to make videos, TikTok challenges.”

Inside the church, the floor of the cavernous sanctuary is covered with debris, bird droppings, beer cans and the mangled remnants of the church’s organ, which Dufresne said intruders ripped from the walls. They’ve also broken heads off statues and repeatedly climbed to the roof, trying to ring the church bell.
The paint is gone from the walls, thanks to a 2019 fire, and has been replaced by graffiti, including a message that reads, “the devil was here.” The sound of cooing pigeons and the flapping of wings echoes through the space, which once accommodated some 1,000 worshippers.
Dufresne and the Montreal Catholic archdiocese believe there is nothing left to save, but they say they are having a difficult time getting a demolition permit from the city. In a court application filed Jan. 7, the St-Eusèbe-de-Verceil parish asked a judge to grant a demolition permit, citing health and security reasons as well as financial limitations.
The court document says the church’s main sanctuary hasn’t been used since 2009. Since then, church officials have tried several times to partner with companies to redevelop the site, but they say the initiatives fell through because of costs or constraints imposed by the city.
The church says it has spent more than $100,000 trying to secure the site since 2017, including by hiring security guards. Despite those efforts, the document states the church has incurred more than $219,000 in fines related to the structural integrity of the building. The City of Montreal declined to comment on the case, and the lawyer representing the parish said no court date had been set as of Thursday.
After the 2019 fire, an engineering firm had estimated the cost of repairing and restoring the church at more than $50 million, the document says. That firm, CIMA+, “concludes that a total demolition of the building is the preferred solution from every point of view, in terms of economic viability … but also in terms of safety,” it reads.
The Church is being abandoned and TikTok is replacing it. Good Luck!