Simply Delicious: Ontario Mushrooms
Mellow, no more! In this season’s first installment of Simply Delicious, we’re mixing up mushrooms- Mediterranean style. We’re using portobello mushrooms as a healthy side dish, or even a main dish for vegetarians.
Here’s the recipe we tried this week:
Mediterranean stuffed Portobello mushroom
Recipe: by Rose Reisman, caterer/nutritionist
4 medium portobello (stems removed)
2 tbsp milk
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped onions
2 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 cup finely chopped mushroom stems
½ cup finely diced red bell pepper
3 cups fresh baby spinach
4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
3 tbsp chopped black olives
2 tsp olive oil
1 oz crumbled goat cheese
- Spray baking dish with vegetable oil.
- Combine egg and milk. Dip portobello in egg wash and then in bread crumbs. Spray mushrooms with vegetable oil.
- Place in 400 F oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, set oven to broil.
- In skillet, heat oil and saute onions until softened. Add garlic and chopped mushroom stems and cook for 5 minutes until tender. Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Add parmesan cheese, olive oil and olives. Divide over top mushroom caps and dot with goat cheese.
- Broil for 1 minute just until goat cheese is browned.
You can find Ontario mushrooms all year round, even in Winter.
The Ontario mushroom crop includes: White Buttons (Ontario’s largest mushroom crop), Shiitake (dark with umbrella-shape top), Oyster (fine texture and pale), Portobella (large brown mushroom with flat top) and Crimini (light tan to rich brown)
According to Longo Brothers Fruit Markets, mushrooms are the only vegetable that naturally contain vitamin D. A half cup serving provides just 8 calories. It’s a good source of the B vitamins riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, as well as potassium, copper and selenium. Mushrooms also provide the unique taste sensation called “umami”, or yum and delicious. This umami flavor provides a satisfying flavour without needing to add salt or fat for flavour.
© 2013 Shaw Media