Recipes to help you start your ketogenic diet
Recipe: The Bulletproof Coffee Recipe of Awesomeness
Prep Time 5 mins
Total Time 5 mins
Butter in my coffee? Seriously? Why would I want to do that? This was my thinking when I was first introduced to the idea of Bulletproof Coffee. But once I got past the shock, I had to find out if all the hype was true. Would this coffee really boost my energy, increase my mental clarity and help me lean out – the short answer – yes it did. It’s been a huge part of elevating my lifestyle, starting with my health first…
Course: Appetizer, Breakfast, Drinks, Main Course, Snack
- 12 ounces Freshly brewed coffee Make sure to use a ‘single source origin’ coffee
- 1 to 2 tbsp Brain Octane (or MCT oil)
- 1 to 2 tbsp Grass-fed Ghee or, use 1 to 2 tbsp of organic grass-fed, unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp Upgraded Collagen Protein
- Using a French Press if you have one, brew 12 ounces of coffee using filtered water, just off the boil, with 2.5 heaping tablespoons of freshly ground single origin coffee beans. (I suggest Bulletproof Coffee Beans)
- Add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of Brain Octane to the hot coffee (note, if your first time trying this recipe, use 1 tablespoon – it’s strong and you will want to work up to the full 2 tablespoons over several days) or alternatively a high-quality MCT oil.
- Add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of grass-fed ghee or, organic, unsalted, grass-fed butter)
- Add in 2 tablespoons of Bulletproof Upgraded Collagen protein.
- Mix it all in a blender for 30 seconds until it is frothy like a super-yummy, foamy latte.
Recipe: Korean Beef & Bacon Lettuce Cups
It’s hard mid-week to carve out time to eat a healthy meal — but not anymore! This little ditty is a fantastic grab and go option! Enjoy!
Course: Main Course, Side Dish, Snack
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 whole pepper, diced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef sirloin
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 tsp. minced ginger root 5 ml
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce 50 ml
- 1 tsp. Asian chili sauce 5 ml
- 1 tsp. coconut or sesame oil 5 ml
- 6 to 12 full leaves Bibb lettuce leaves
- shredded cucumber
- fresh lime wedges
- chopped cilantro, green onion or mint
- Cook garlic, diced pepper, diced bacon, ground beef and ginger root in a large skillet using medium heat, stirring occasionally for 8 to 10 minutes until beef is browned and completely cooked. Drain if necessary.
- Add soy sauce, chili sauce, and sesame oil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to warm platter. At the table, let each diner spoon some filling into lettuce leaves. Top with a squeeze of lime juice and serve with toppings such as shredded carrot, cucumber, chopped cilantro, green onion or mint. Roll up with your hands to eat.
Third Recipe – which will already be done… on display… one of my kids’ faves…
Recipe: Egg & Bacon Muffin Tops
Fancy something a little different for breakfast? You must try this! Egg and bacon muffins offer a unique twist on the traditional egg and bacon breakfast, they’re also perfect for lunch or brunch.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 to 3 packs of smoked or unsmoked bacon (at least 12 strips)
- 6 small organic eggs
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF/190ºC/Gas Mark 5.
- Grease 6 wells of a non-stick muffin pan (or ramekins) with butter, then wrap two or three strips of bacon around the inside of each muffin cup. You may need more or less bacon depending on the size of each strip.
- Gently crack one small egg into each muffin cup lined with bacon. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until bacon is crispy and eggs are cooked through to your taste.
- Serve with fresh grilled juicy tomatoes.
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.