March 20, 2017 8:42 pm
Updated: March 20, 2017 9:15 pm

OPP identify contractor killed at Goderich salt mine

FILE - Ontario Provincial Police have identified the contractor who was killed over the weekend at a Goderich salt mine.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Dave Chidley
A A

Huron OPP have identified the worker who died over the weekend at the Goderich salt mine.

Details remain scarce, but police and paramedics were called to the salt mine around 6:16 a.m. on Saturday, police said. At the scene, police said an injured male was brought to the surface and was rushed to

Story continues below

At the scene, police said an injured male was brought to the surface and was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead. Compass Minerals, the owner of the mine, said the victim had been working that morning as a contractor.

Police have identified the victim as 36-year-old Darcy Clancy from Chepstow, Ont.

An autopsy was scheduled to be performed on Monday, police said.

READ MORE: Police, Ministry of Labour investigating death of contractor at Goderich salt mine

According to Compass Minerals’ website, the facility is the world’s largest underground salt mine and has operated since 1959. The mine was acquired by Kansas-based Compass Minerals, parent company of Sifto Canada, in 1990.

In 2011, a 61-year-old salt mine worker was killed at the facility when an F3-level tornado battered the town. Normand Laberge was working high up on the mine’s boom, a large extendable arm which loads freight onto ships, when the twister struck, pinning him under the rubble, media reports said.

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.