Gas leak at north Edmonton’s Londonderry Mall under control
Emergency crews were called to north Edmonton’s Londonderry Mall to deal with a gas leak early Thursday morning.
A gas line was ruptured at around 2 a.m., when a construction crew was working in the area. The mall and three nearby homes were evacuated, and police blocked off 144 Avenue from 66 Street to 74 Street.
Edmonton Fire Rescue, ATCO and EPCOR responded to the leak. Firefighters monitored the gas levels and said the situation was not considered dangerous.
The line was pinched around 6:30 a.m. but it hasn’t yet been repaired.
“ATCO will continue to monitor,” Edmonton Fire Rescue District Chief Leonard Mushtuk said. “When we arrived, our Hazmat response team was on scene and they were looking at air quality at that time. With ATCO gas on scene, they have their own monitoring equipment, and they have advised that everything is safe and they will continue to monitor.”
People in the community were able to return home after an air quality check is done.
The opening of the mall and nearby M.E. LaZerte High School were not affected by the leak.
More to come…
© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.