WATCH: The Friday, September 5, 2014 weather forecast for Toronto, Ontario and the surrounding area.
TORONTO – The City of Toronto has issued a heat alert for Friday.
Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health Dr. David McKeown called for the advisory due to high temperatures which is expected to reach near 40 degrees Celsius with the humidex this afternoon.
Environment Canada had initially placed Toronto under a heat warning as temperatures will skyrocket across southern Ontario.
The weather agency says a cold front Friday evening will bring temperatures back to normal.
Environment Canada said the elderly, infants and young children, and people with chronic illnesses are at a higher risk during extreme heat.
The weather office says the highs on Saturday and Sunday will be in the low 20s.
Below are tips on how to beat the heat:
• Drink lots of cool water
• Go to air-conditioned places, including shopping malls or one of many local libraries or community centres
• Take cool showers or baths or use cool wet towels to cool down
• Wear loose, light-coloured, breathable clothing and, when outdoors, wear a hat
• Avoid the sun and stay in the shade or use an umbrella
• Reschedule or plan outdoor activities during the cooler parts of the day
• Never leave seniors, children or pets unattended in a car
© Shaw Media, 2014