Watch more: officials stress security is tight and families are safe at the Ex
SASKATOON – A 15-year-old was taken to hospital with serious injuries Thursday night after being stabbed at the Saskatoon Ex. Two men have been charged in connection with the incident.
“We responded to a call of an injured male and that there had been an altercation on the grounds,” said Cst. Bill Bergeron with Saskatoon Police Service.
According to witnesses, the incident happened between the merry-go-round and the lost kids zone in Kidsville.
It’s believed to be an isolated incident; the victim and both suspects know each other.
“We’re doing the best possible jobs we feel on a regular basis to ensure the safety of our patrons, anybody who’s come to the Ex they can see the security on site and security presence,” said Carl Schlosser, Prairieland Park events director.
“There is a lot of people at the exhibition, it’s a high concentration of people and I think anytime you have an outside venue like that with lots of noise and lots of people around it certainly helps to have a good police presence,” said Bergeron.
Security on the grounds has been stepped up and bags are being checked at the gates before anyone enters the park.
“We’ve already been on top of that and we want to ensure something like this doesn’t happen, like I said, in the 15 years I’ve been here nothing has and we’ve had millions of people go thru our gates,” said Schlosser.
Over 38,000 people went through the gates Thursday for day 3 of the Ex, over 100 security and support are on site any given day.
“We’re aware that we’re going to be getting 220,000 people plus on our grounds so there’s a plan in place well before the show begins,” said Schlosser.
A 17-year-old man is facing aggravated assault charges and a 20-year-old man, common assault charges. Both were scheduled to go before a justice of the peace Friday evening.
© Global News, 2014