Witnesses tell Edmonton police man spontaneously combusted; investigation underway
EDMONTON – A man believed to be in his late teens or early 20s is being treated for second-degree burns after he allegedly woke up on fire Saturday morning.
Staff Sgt. Terry Langley with the Edmonton Police Service says officers were called to a convenience store in the area of 12 Ave. and 75 St. around 8 a.m.
When they arrived, officers found a man suffering from severe burns to his back, forehead and thighs, Langley said.
The man told police he was staying the night at a nearby residence when he woke up on fire. Langley says people at the residence offered little information apart to say there was some sort of “supernatural occurrence.”
The medical investigator estimates the man’s burns cover about 30 per cent of his body.
Police are still investigating, but Langley says officers do not believe the man spontaneously combusted.
© 2014 Shaw Media