May 3, 2014 3:38 pm

Careless smoking causes thousands in damage

Fire officials said a fire in a downtown hotel was caused by careless smoking.

Tamara Forlanski / Global News file photo

Fire officials said a fire in a downtown hotel was caused by careless smoking.

Emergency crews rushed to the Best Western Charter House Hotel on York Avenue around 5:20 a.m. Saturday.

The fire started in a suite and spread to the bed and walls.

There is smoke and water damage throughout all four floors of the hotel.

Damage is estimated at $200,000.

Report an error

Comments