Dr. Peter Jüni, the scientific director of the Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table, is stepping down from the role to take a job in Europe.
Jüni is originally from Switzerland and will work in Oxford, England to be closer to his family.
He has been in charge of the Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table since its inception in the summer of 2020.
Get weekly health news
“He has accepted a new position in Oxford UK that commences July 1,” a spokesperson for Jüni told Global News.
The doctor also works at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto and at the University of Toronto, where he is a professor of medicine and epidemiology.
During the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, Jüni admitted he considered stepping down over the government’s handling of the situation.
“It really pains me. I was desperate. I see something that is perfectly avoidable happening anyway and it’s absolutely unclear to me why,” he said last year.
A spokesperson said Jüni is stepping down “to be closer to family in Europe” and not for any reason relating to policy.
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.