Advertisement

WFPS responds to house fire caused by unattended cooking

A Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service vehicle.
A Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service vehicle. File / Global News

A house in Winnipeg’s St. Vital area is left with fire, smoke and water damage after a blaze Saturday night.

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) crews responded to the fire inside a single-family bungalow on Munn Road around 10:06 p.m. when they drove up to heavy smoke and flames.

The fire was brought under control twenty minutes later.

The WFPS says the fire was accidentally caused by unattended cooking and are reminding people how to avoid such accidents.

Read more: Housefire that killed 2 in northwestern Manitoba now considered a homicide: RCMP

They suggest staying in the kitchen while cooking and keeping things like oven mitts, wooden utensils, packaging, towels and curtains away from the stovetop.

Story continues below advertisement

They’re also reminding residents to never use water to put out an oil fire — instead, use a kitchen fire extinguisher or cover the top with a metal lid.

It’s unknown how much the damage to the house caused by the fire will cost.

Sponsored content