Advertisement

Malfunctioning electrical extension cord sparks fire at Saskatoon home

Saskatoon firefighters were called to a blaze on Gathercole Crescent around 2:55 p.m. on Jan. 3. Brady Ratzlaff / Global News

A malfunctioning electrical extension cord sparked a fire at a home in Silverwood Heights, according to investigators.

The Saskatoon Fire Department said a number of 911 calls came in just before 3 p.m. Sunday, reporting flames coming from an attached garage in the 200 block of Gathercole Crescent.

Read more: Indoor garbage fire causes injury, $150K damage to Saskatoon home

Firefighters advanced hoses to the attached garage to knock down flames, which extended into the roof, the fire department said.

Officials said a search of the home confirmed everyone evacuated the house safely.

No injuries were reported.

Damage is estimated at $70,000.

Story continues below advertisement
Click to play video: 'Fire destroys Ituna Hotel in Saskatchewan' Fire destroys Ituna Hotel in Saskatchewan
Fire destroys Ituna Hotel in Saskatchewan – Dec 11, 2020

Sponsored content