Advertisement

5 killed, 14 injured in suicide bombing in Somalia: officials

A suicide bombing near the Somali capital, Mogadishu, on Saturday killed five people including two Turks, Turkish and Somali officials said.

The al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab extremist group claimed responsibility for the attack in a post by its Shahada News Agency. The Somalia-based group often targets Mogadishu with suicide bombings and other attacks, and it has exploded bombs against the Turkish military and other targets there in the past.

Read more: At least 2 killed, more than 20 injured in bombing in Somalia: police

Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca tweeted that 14 people, including three Turks, were wounded and are being treated in a Mogadishu hospital named after Turkey’s president.

“We strongly condemn this heinous attack targeting the employees of a Turkish company that undertook the Mogadishu-Afgoye road construction and contributes to the development and prosperity of Somalia,” a foreign ministry statement said.

Story continues below advertisement

The three others killed were Somali policemen, police Capt. Ahmed Mohamed said.

Click to play video: 'At least 7 dead in blast at hotel in Somalia’s capital' At least 7 dead in blast at hotel in Somalia’s capital
At least 7 dead in blast at hotel in Somalia’s capital – Aug 16, 2020

Turkish security sources said the suicide attacker used a motorcycle. They said the attack took place 15 kilometres (8 miles) from a Turkish military base, which was not affected. The base is Turkey’s largest military installation abroad.

This is the second time the road project has been attacked by al-Shabab. In January last year, a vehicle filled with explosives exploded at the entrance, killing and wounding dozens of people, including several Turkish citizens.

Click to play video: 'Al Shabaab militants attack hotel in Somali capital' Al Shabaab militants attack hotel in Somali capital
Al Shabaab militants attack hotel in Somali capital – Dec 10, 2019

The attack led to a pause in the project, which recommenced a few months ago after security was improved.

Story continues below advertisement

Separately on Saturday, the U.S. military said it had carried out two airstrikes against al-Shabab compounds near Qunya Barrow on Friday, the first such strikes of the year after more than 50 last year. A U.S. statement said both compounds were destroyed.

___

Hassan Barise in Mogadishu, Somalia contributed.

Sponsored content