Jimmy Lai relieved he wasn’t sent to China after arrest in Hong Kong

Hong Kong police arrest media tycoon, raid Apple Daily newsroom
ABOVE: Hong Kong police arrest media tycoon, raid Apple Daily newsroom.

Jimmy Lai had just finished his morning exercise and was catching up on the news when the police arrived.

“There were 15, 20 policemen there, and they said I was under arrest and that they were from the national security department,” the Hong Kong media tycoon recounted in a live-streamed video chat Thursday.

Read more: Facebook live captures arrest of Jimmy Lai by Hong Kong police

His arrest Monday morning at his home was the highest-profile detention under a new national security law that took effect in the semi-autonomous Chinese territory on June 30. He has not been charged but was held for 36 hours on suspicion of colluding with a foreign country or entity. He was released on bail.

Lai, 71, said he was worried he could be sent to the mainland, where the legal system has fewer protections. His fears were allayed when he realized that the officers were not speaking in Mandarin, the mainland Chinese language.

Story continues below advertisement

“I kind of settled down a little bit because? I knew that I wouldn’t be sent to China at least,” he said.

More anti-Beijing critics arrested under Hong Kong security law
More anti-Beijing critics arrested under Hong Kong security law

The national security law says that certain cases can come under the jurisdiction of mainland China. Chinese and Hong Kong officials say most cases will be handled locally.

In the hours after his arrest, Lai was taken to his office and his personal yacht as police searched for evidence. He was also shifted between several police stations, as there was an electricity blackout in one, while in another the fingerprint machine was not working.

“A lot of the time I was sitting there waiting,” he said, adding it was the first time he had spent so much time in handcuffs as police took him from place to place.

Story continues below advertisement

The headquarters of his Next Digital media group, which operates the pro-democracy Apple Daily tabloid, was raided by hundreds of officers after his arrest, stoking fears that press freedom would be curtailed.

Read more: Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai calls for ‘patient’ democracy fight after release

Hong Kong has long enjoyed freedoms not found on the mainland under a “one country, two systems” framework.

Lai expressed surprise that his arrest came so quickly, saying that he thought authorities would keep a low profile because of the strong condemnation of the law by some in the international community.

He has been a harsh critic of the new law and China’s ruling Communist Party.

“If I knew that I will end up here or eventually in prison, would I have changed myself in other way? I thought about it, and I said no, because this is my character,” he said. “This is the way I react to things. My character is my destiny.”

Hong Kong police arrest democracy activists in raids
Hong Kong police arrest democracy activists in raids

Following Lai’s arrest on Monday, investors rushed to buy Next Digital stock in a show of support. The stock surged more than 1,100 per cent to 1.61 Hong Kong dollars before settling around 0.38 Hong Kong dollars on Thursday. That’s still nearly five times higher than before Lai’s arrest.

Story continues below advertisement

He urged people not to engage in a buying spree of Next Digital shares.

“I advise nobody to touch it,” he said. “Because this is just a very ephemeral phenomenon that’s not going to last.”