Advertisement

1 dead, 2 hospitalized after carbon monoxide exposure: Laval police

Where are carbon monoxide alarms required in hotels across Canada?
ABOVE: Where are carbon monoxide alarms required in hotels across Canada?

A 59-year-old woman has died and two others were taken to hospital after being exposed to carbon monoxide in a Laval, Que. residence.

Police spokesperson St├ęphanie Beschara said that Laval authorities were dispatched to a small apartment building at 2:20 p.m. on Friday in the Laval-des-Rapides region.

Two people were taken to hospital and are in stable condition condition. Police could not confirm whether the 59-year-old victim died at the residence or at the hospital.

READ MORE: What you need to know about carbon monoxide poisoning

Authorities say they are unsure how the three people were exposed to the toxic gas.

The case was deemed not criminal and was transferred to the Quebec coroner to investigate.

Story continues below advertisement
Carbon monoxide safety awareness as furnaces are fired up for the winter
Carbon monoxide safety awareness as furnaces are fired up for the winter