Advertisement

Iran warns regional states there are consequences for encouraging unrest

Iranian-Canadian community concerned they can’t reach loved ones amid protests and internet blackout
WATCH: (From Nov. 20, 2019) Iranian-Canadian community concerned they can't reach loved ones amid protests and internet blackout

Iranian Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri on Saturday warned regional countries of consequences if it is proven that they meddled to stoke recent unrest in Iran.

“Some countries in the region should know that they will not have an easy life in the region if clues are found that show they intervened to create unrest in Iran,” said Jahangiri, quoted by the semi-official news agency Fars.

Wait, There’s More: What led to the deadly protests in Iran

Iran has blamed “thugs” linked to exiles and foreign foes — the United States, Israel and Saudi Arabia — for stirring up unrest following hikes in gasoline prices which led to the some of the worst violence in a decade.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: 80 million affected in Iran internet shutdown, experts say

Iran’s regional rival Saudi Arabia and its arch-foe Israel have backed U.S. moves to reimpose sanctions that have crippled Tehran’s economy, after Washington withdrew from the Islamic Republic’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.

Meanwhile, police said 180 “ringleaders” of the unrest had been detained by its agents across the country, state television reported. On Friday the judiciary said the Revolutionary Guards had arrested about 100 leaders of protests.

About 1,000 demonstrators have been arrested, Iranian media said nearly a week ago.

The Center for Human Rights in Iran, a New York-based advocacy group, said on its website that a tally based on official figures and credible reports suggested that “a minimum of 2,755 people have been arrested with the actual minimum number likely being closer to 4,000.”

UN says dozens reported killed in gasoline protests in Iran
UN says dozens reported killed in gasoline protests in Iran

Iranian troops and members of the elite Revolutionary Guards helped police quell violent unrest in Kermanshah province this week, Iranian officials said on Saturday, accusing “U.S. agents” of being among the armed protesters.

The unrest appears to be the worst violence at least since Iran stamped out a “Green Revolution” in 2009, when dozens of protesters were killed over several months.

Rights group Amnesty International said at least 30 people were killed in Kermanshah, making it the worst-hit by the protests and it updated its death toll to 115 from 106.

Story continues below advertisement

Iran rejected the death toll figures as “speculative.”

READ MORE: 11 killed as Israel conducts ‘wide-scale’ strikes on Iranian targets in Syria

Bahman Reyhani, the Revolutionary Guards’ commander in Kermanshah, said “the rioters belonged to anti-revolutionary (exiled opposition) groups and America’s intelligence services,” the semi-official Tasnim news agency reported.

He did not name the groups. Armed Iranian Kurdish militants have long operated near the province’s border with Iraq.

Guards spokesman Brigadier General Ramezan Sharif said the protests had been initiated by royalists seeking the return of the Pahlavi dynasty toppled by the 1979 revolution, and the exiled Mujahideen Khalq armed opposition group, Tasnim reported.

Pompeo says U.S. will ‘terminate sanctions waiver’ at facility where Iran to begin uranium enrichment
Pompeo says U.S. will ‘terminate sanctions waiver’ at facility where Iran to begin uranium enrichment

READ MORE: Iran gas price protests have spread to 100 cities — Here’s what’s happening

He said “secessionist” groups were also involved, apparently referring to ethnic Arab and the Kurdish militants.

Protests began in several areas on Nov. 15 after the government announced gasoline price hikes of at least 50 per cent and imposed rationing. The unrest spread to at least 100 towns and cities as demonstrators demanded senior officials step down.

Iran condemned a U.S. decision to impose sanctions on the Iranian information minister on Friday for his role in a nationwide internet shutdown meant to help stifle the protests.

READ MORE: Iranian-Canadians concerned for family after Iranian government shuts down internet

Story continues below advertisement

“Everyone knows that the current U.S. administration does not value the principles of democracy, transparency and human rights, including freedom of the internet, for others,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said, according to state media.

On Thursday, Iran’s National Security Council that had ordered the shutdown approved reactivating fixed-line internet in some areas after a five-day outage.

The restoration of the internet, slow on the first two days, sped up on Saturday, with observatory NetBlocks indicating that network data showed connectivity was up to 72 per cent of normal levels.