Gruesome details of alleged Jamal Khashoggi killing published by Turkish media
ISTANBUL — Turkish crime-scene investigators entered the residence of the Saudi consul general in Istanbul on Wednesday to search for evidence in the disappearance of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi, just as a pro-government newspaper published a gruesome recounting of his alleged slaying.
Saudi Arabia’s green national flag flapped overhead as forensics teams walked into the residence, only 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from the consulate where Khashoggi vanished Oct. 2 while trying to pick up paperwork to get married. It was the second-such extraordinary search of land considered under international law to be Saudi sovereign soil after Turkish police searched the consulate through the early morning Tuesday.
The new search put further pressure on Saudi Arabia to explain what happened to Khashoggi after a visit by U.S. Secretary Mike Pompeo to both the kingdom and Turkey. Flying back home, Pompeo remained positive about an ongoing Saudi probe into Khashoggi’s disappearance, but stressed answers need to come soon.
“Sooner’s betters than later for everyone,” Pompeo said.
The residence search came after a report by the newspaper Yeni Safak citing what it described as an audio recording of Khashoggi’s slaying. It described the 60-year-old Washington Post columnist as being tortured after entering the consulate.
The newspaper said Saudi Consul General Mohammed al-Otaibi could be heard on the tape, telling those allegedly torturing Khashoggi: “Do this outside; you’re going to get me in trouble.”
WATCH: Trump compares missing Saudi journalist case to Brett Kavanaugh hearing
The newspaper said one of the Saudis torturing Khashoggi replied: “Shut up if you want to live when you return to (Saudi) Arabia.”
Security services in Turkey have used pro-government media to leak details of Khashoggi’s case, adding to the pressure on the kingdom.
The New York Times reported on the audio recording Wednesday, saying it suggests that Khashoggi’s fingers were severed during the interrogation, and he was later beheaded and dismembered. The interrogation and killing occurred within a few minutes, the Times said.
A senior Turkish official confirmed the details that were published in Turkish media to The New York Times.
The official told the Times that a doctor that was present to help with the disposal advised others to put on headphones and listen to music to ease the tension.
Saudi officials have not responded to repeated requests for comment from The Associated Press in recent days. Al-Otaibi left Turkey on Tuesday afternoon, Turkish state media reported.
On Wednesday, Pompeo held separate meetings with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, each for about 40 minutes in Ankara, Turkey’s capital.
The three posed for photos, but said nothing together in front of reporters.
On a plane back home, Pompeo said Erdogan “made clear that the Saudis had cooperated with the investigation that the Turks are engaged in and they are going to share information.”
“If a country engages in activity that is unlawful it’s unacceptable,” Pompeo said.
“No one is going to defend activity of that nature. We just need to simply say what happened.”
WATCH: Pompeo says Saudi Arabia promised ‘thorough’ investigating into journalist’s disappearance
Pompeo met with Saudi King Salman and his son, the 33-year-old Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, on Tuesday. Before leaving Riyadh, Pompeo told reporters that the Saudi leaders “made no exceptions on who they would hold accountable.”
“They made a commitment to hold anyone connected to any wrongdoing that may be found accountable for that, whether they are a senior officer or official,” Pompeo said.
WATCH: Turkish police say they have proof of Khashoggi’s murder
No major decisions are made outside of the ultraconservative kingdom’s ruling Al Saud family. Khashoggi had fled the country last year amid the rise of Prince Mohammed, whom he wrote critically about in the Post.
On Tuesday, a high-level Turkish official told the AP that police found “certain evidence” of Khashoggi’s slaying at the consulate, without elaborating. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.
President Donald Trump’s previous warnings over the case drew an angry response Sunday from Saudi Arabia and its state-linked media, including a suggestion that Riyadh could wield its oil production as a weapon. The U.S. president has been after King Salman and OPEC to boost production to drive down high oil prices, caused in part by the coming re-imposition of oil sanctions on Iran.
WATCH: Video reportedly shows Saudi Consul General fleeing Turkey
Prominent U.S. newspapers have reported, citing anonymous sources, that Saudi officials may soon acknowledge Khashoggi’s slaying at the consulate but blame it on a botched intelligence operation. That could, like Trump’s softening comments, seek to give the kingdom a way out of the global firestorm of criticism over Khashoggi’s fate.
WATCH: Turkey says Khashoggi dismembered while alive in consulate
Fraser reported from Ankara, Turkey, and Gambrell reported from Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Associated Press writer Matthew Lee in Washington contributed to this report.
With files from Global News reporter Maham Abedi.
© 2018 The Canadian Press