July 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Six Nations council bans Hamilton man acquitted of murdering one of its members

Peter Khill, 28, admitted he shot Jon Styres but said he fired in self-defence, believing Styres was about to shoot him.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Colin Perkel
A A

SIX NATIONS RESERVE, Ont. – A Hamilton-area homeowner acquitted of second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of an Indigenous man has been banned for life from the nearby Six Nations reserve.

The elected band council voted unanimously on Tuesday to banish Peter Khill from the Six Nations of the Grand River territory, home of Jon Styres.

READ MORE: Peter Khill, Hamilton-area man found not guilty of 2nd-degree murder, facing $2.25M lawsuit


Story continues below

Khill, 28, admitted at trial that he shot Styres on the morning of Feb. 4, 2016, but pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, saying he fired in self-defence when he thought Styres was pointing a gun at him.

The jury at last month’s trial heard that Styres did not have a gun.

READ MORE: Closing arguments underway at trial of Hamilton-area homeowner accused in shooting death

Khill’s defence said at trial that he saw Styres breaking into his truck in the middle of the night and he fell back on his army reserve training, taking his shotgun outside to “neutralize the threat.”

Following the June 27 verdict, Six Nations Chief Ava Hill questioned how Indigenous people could have faith in a justice system that “fails to hold anyone accountable for the taking of a life.”

© 2018 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.