May 16, 2018 11:12 am

Florida man killed by exploding vape pen: autopsy report

ABOVE: Florida man confirmed to have died as a result of exploding vape pen

A A

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – An autopsy report says a 38-year-old Florida man was killed by an exploding vape pen.

The report released Tuesday confirms the vape pen was responsible for the May 5 death of Tallmadge D’Elia in St. Petersburg.

The Tampa Bay Times reports firefighters found D’Elia inside his burning home.

READ MORE: Schools fret as teens take to vaping, even in classrooms

The Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner’s report says the explosion sent two pieces of the vape pen into the man’s cranium. The report lists the cause of death as “projectile wound of the head.” He also suffered burns on about 80 per cent of his body. The death was ruled an accident.

The vape was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain.

READ MORE: FDA pushing to limit amount of nicotine in cigarettes – should Canada too?

The Food and Drug Administration says it’s not clear what causes some vape pens to explode, but it could stem from battery-related issues.

© 2018 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.