Community rallies around Kelowna family who lost mother in fire
A GoFundMe page has been started to help support a Kelowna family devastated by a deadly house fire Tuesday morning.
Loree Dubuque lost her life after she ran into her burning home in an attempt to save the family dog.
Dubuque leaves behind two young step-sons and her partner Michael van Gool.
The blaze broke out just before 5 a.m. in the 2600 block of Springfield Road.
The family of four got out safely but Dubuque re-entered the structure to find the family pet.
That’s something fire officials say people should never do.
“The thermal air, which is the heat and toxic gases, come down,” says Kelowna Fire Department Platoon Captain Kelly Stephens. “As they come down, you need to get close to the ground where the good air space is located. If you stand up and get a breath of that black, toxic gas it could be over in one breath.”
Dubuque’s body was found inside the gutted home later that day.
The GoFundMe page was started by Kelowna resident Bill Henthorn.
Henthorn doesn’t know the family but was touched by the tragedy and wanted to help.
“I know through my own personal tragedies and things around that has happened with my family that it was nice to have the community and the schools around us for support and I just want to pay it forward,” he told Global News.
If you would like to help the grief-stricken family, click here for a link to the GoFundMe page.
You can also make a donation to the family at the Plaza 33 TD bank in Rutland or drop off clothes, toys and gift cards at Springvalley Elementary School on Ziprick Road.
© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.