More than 70 workers were stranded underground for several hours last weekend when a fire broke out at a potash mine near Esterhazy, Sask., on March 3.
Mine owner Mosaic said the flames from Saturday’s fire were quickly put out and 22 workers were brought to the surface.
Mosaic spokeswoman Sarah Fedorchuk said air-quality checks raised concerns and dozens of other employees were told to stay in their underground refuge stations until the all-clear was given around 8:00 p.m. CT. No one was hurt.
Fedorchuk said an investigation into the fire is underway, although it appears the emergency may have been caused by an overheated belt.
© 2018 The Canadian Press