Advertisement

Alberta premier allows rebuffed taxpayers group back into budget room

EDMONTON – A taxpayers group says Alberta Premier Alison Redford has overruled a decision to keep it out of Thursday’s budget lockup.

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation says Redford called to say it will be allowed into the room where the budget is explained to reporters, politicians and stakeholders before it is released.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News' Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

The federation says it was informed by Finance Minister Doug Horner’s office earlier in the week that the lockup was full.

It says it has been attending budget lockups for the last 20 years.

The Opposition Wildrose offered the taxpayer federation and several others a one-day, $1 contract to attend the lockup and provide analysis.

Derek Fildebrandt, the federation’s Alberta director, says he’s pleased the premier has allowed the group in.

Story continues below advertisement

Earlier this year, the federation released a 56-page budget submission to the Alberta government.

Sponsored content

AdChoices