EDMONTON – Alberta is bracing for another early forest-fire season by readying crews in advance.
Like last year, wildfire crews will be on duty starting March 1 instead of April 1.
Starting the season early when conditions are dry was a recommendation in the review into the May 2011 wildfires that ravaged the Slave Lake area.
Get breaking National news
The flames destroyed hundreds of homes, forced thousands from the community and caused an estimated $1 billion in damage, firefighting and relief costs.
- Canadian premiers appear to back Carney’s decision to abandon ‘bad deal’ with United States
- U.S.-Canada trade talks have collapsed. Carney says these 3 issues torpedoed them
- Unifor, General Motors reach tentative deal for thousands of Ontario auto workers
- Carney says Canada ‘walking away from a bad deal’ as 50% tariffs hit
Wildfires last year in Alberta burned 3,750 square kilometres of timber – about 1.5 times more than the five-year average.
Alberta Environment says last year nearly 80 per cent of wildfires were caused by people, compared to the usual average of about 60 per cent.
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.