October 21, 2017 10:52 am
Updated: October 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Donald Trump says on Twitter he will likely release long-awaited ‘JFK’ files

ABOVE: Rep. Joe Kennedy III, the great-nephew of former U.S. President John F. Kennedy said Saturday he agreed with disclosure of government-held documents like the 'JFK' files public, but that it "would've been nice" for his family to have had communication with the Trump administration over the decision.

A A

U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Twitter Saturday that he will allow the release of the long-awaited “JFK” files.

“I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened,” he stated.

He also gave himself and out clause by saying, “subject to the receipt of further Information.”

Story continues below

The documents have to be scheduled to be released by the U.S. National Archives by Oct. 26. Many of the documents surrounding the assassination of John F. Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1963 have already been released but there are still some to go and conspiracy theorists have been waiting for them with bated breath.

READ MORE: Donald Trump still repeating unproven claim Ted Cruz’s father has ties to JFK’s assassin

There have been reports from the Washington Post and Politico that Trump would block the release of the documents.

Politico reports that there were some documents that have been created in the 1990s which would be problematic.

WATCH: World pays tribute on JFK assassination anniversary in November 2016

Lindsay Walters, a White House spokeswoman, told Politico Magazine that the White House was working “to ensure that the maximum amount of data can be released to the public” by next Thursday.

A congressional official also told Politico that the CIA was pressuring Trump to block the release of some documents on security grounds.

READ MORE: Obama, Bush break with custom to warn against Donald Trump’s politics

The documents include more than 3,000 that have never been seen by the public and more than 30,000 that have been previously released, but with redactions.

Thousands of books, articles, TV shows, movies and documentaries have been produced about the assassination and surveys have shown that a majority of Americans still distrust official evidence that points to Lee Harvey Oswald as the sole killer.

WATCH: The two most important days in JFK’s presidency

Despite serious questions about the official inquest, and theories purporting that organized crime, Cuba or a cabal of U.S. security agents was involved, conspiracy theorists have yet to produce conclusive proof that Oswald acted in consort with anyone.

Saturday’s Washington Post said Kennedy assassination experts do not think the last batch of papers contains any major bombshells, but may shed light on the activities of Oswald while he was traveling in Mexico City in late September 1963, and courting Cuban and Soviet spies

— With files from Associated Press and Reuters

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News