A five-week trial has been set in late 2018 for a Calgary couple accused in the death of five-year-old Emilio Perdomo.
Allan and Carolina Perdomo are charged with manslaughter in the death of the child.
It was originally believed Emilio was the biological grandson of Allan Perdomo, but court documents state he’s actually the boy’s father.
Emilio was rushed to the Alberta Children’s Hospital on July 10, 2015.
Police said he had swelling and bruising all over his body.
He died five days later.
Police said the boy had been living in Calgary for about a year after being sent to the city from Mexico by his mother, who hoped he would have a better life in Canada.
The trial is scheduled to begin Nov. 13, 2018.
Court heard there are several applications before the courts that could shorten the trial time needed.
The case is back in court on Sept. 1 to further clarify those applications.