January 22, 2017 3:53 pm
Updated: January 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Man found dead after tent explosion in Squamish

WATCH: A plea from Squamish RCMP tonight to help identify a homeless man. He was found dead just off Highway 99. His tent apparently exploded and caught fire. His tragic death highlights how dangerous this winter season has been for the homeless. Paul Johnson reports.

A A

RCMP are investigating after a man was found dead inside a tent in Squamish late Saturday.

Mounties said a passerby spotted a fire in a bush area near the Shell gas station on Highway 99 just before midnight, then heard an explosion. Police believe the explosion came from propane canisters inside the tent.

Fire crews quickly extinguished the flames and then discovered the victim.

RCMP are asking for help to identify the man, so they can inform his next of kin.

“We know that he had a Mountain Equipment Co-op navy blue backpack, had an acoustic guitar, smoked cigarettes and likely worked in construction as a result of numerous clothing items around the camp site,” Staff Sgt. J.M. Percival said in a statement.

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.