Advertisement
Canada

Food waste: 5 graphics that show just how much food we throw away

How much food is wasted in Canada each year?

Be honest: How often do you throw away food? Maybe that can of peas has gone past the expiry date, or maybe that bunch of carrots doesn’t look as fresh as it should. Most likely, you toss it in the garbage.

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, about 1.3 billion tonnes of food gets wasted each year, with fruits and vegetables accounting for the highest amount of food wasted.

In Canada, we’re no different.

cost-of-waste-in-canada

And that waste costs us a pretty penny.

Story continues below advertisement

household-waste

About 47 per cent of food is wasted at home, with the other 53 per cent of waste occurring through the food chain, what is referred to as the “value food chain.”

food-waste-in-value-food-chain

And we’re fussy: we don’t like seeing fruits or vegetables that aren’t appealing. Loblaw has begun addressing the issue of food waste by launching it’s Naturally Imperfect line of fruits and vegetables in some provinces and territories.

Story continues below advertisement

pretty-vegetables-waste

And the amount of food waste that makes its way into landfills generates methane which is 25 times more harmful to the environment than carbon dioxide.

how-much-we-waste-annually-elephants

 

You can help reduce food waste with these tips:

Story continues below advertisement

How to reduce food waste at home

Global News Redesign Global News Redesign
A fresh new look for Global News is here, tell us what you think
Take a Survey

Sponsored Stories