As food supplies for wasps begin to dwindle at the end of the summer, the insects can become more aggressive, leading to a higher risk of stings.
While the species may just be a pest for some, wasps pose a serious concern for those who are allergic. They can also be a danger for city waste collectors.
READ MORE: Top 5 things you should know about wasps
As a way to help reduce the risk for waste collectors, the City of Edmonton offers the following tips to residents putting out their garbage:
- Ensure garbage bags are tied up and cans are covered with lids
- Keep waste storage area clean
- Bag empty wine crates, as wasps are attracted to sugar and alcohol
- Remove wasp nests from garbage areas as soon as they are discovered
- Use wasp traps to distract them from the garbage area
- Pick up all apples from lawns
People with a compost pile are asked to turn it regularly and keep it wet to avoid wasps.