SASKATOON – The province has brought back it’s wolf hunt project for another year, and are expanding it. The hunt will run from Dec. 15 until the end of March 2016, and will issue 200 licences each allowing the holder to kill two wolves.
READ MORE: Wolf hunt project expanded in Saskatchewan
Earlier in the year, the Environment Ministry said they were not planning on holding another wolf cull due to underwhelming numbers. Last year during the pilot program, the province issued only 81 of 100 possible licences, and only three wolves were harvested between September 2014 and March 2015.
The ministry says they are extending the cull and expanding in to an additional zone because livestock predation remains a challenge for some farmers. The hunt is restricted to the Weekes-Hudson Bay and Big River-Shellbrook areas and licence holders will be required to fill out a reporting sheet and report the results of their hunt as a condition of receiving a permit.
What do you think of this program? Do you agree with the province holding a wolf cull?
Be sure to comment with your thoughts and watch Global Saskatoon Morning News at 7:55 a.m. CT to see if we pull up your comment.
With files from Dave Giles and The Canadian Press