November 3, 2014 4:00 pm
Updated: November 3, 2014 4:05 pm

Polaris Music Prize drops Jian Ghomeshi from its jury

The Polaris Music Prize has removed former host Jian Ghomeshi from its jury.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/CBC
A A

TORONTO – The Polaris Music Prize has removed former host Jian Ghomeshi from its jury.

Ghomeshi had been among the 200-plus journalists, broadcasters and bloggers who annually vote on the $30,000 award, given to the best Canadian album of the previous year.

The 47-year-old has a history with the gala. He hosted the inaugural bash in 2006, presented a performance by K’naan in ’09 and served on the Polaris’s 10-person grand jury in 2010, when Karkwa won the prize.

Story continues below

A representative for the Polaris confirmed to The Canadian Press that Ghomeshi was no longer on its jury but didn’t provide a reason for the decision.

The former host of “Q” was let go by the CBC last month. Ghomeshi has said he was fired because of the risk that his sex life would become public “as a result of a campaign of false allegations” motivated by his “sexual behaviour.” He has since launched a lawsuit against the public broadcaster.

READ MORE: Jian Ghomeshi’s $55M suit ‘a joke’ says labour lawyer

The radio personality has said he has engaged in rough sex, but that it was always consensual.

READ MORE: Jian Ghomeshi, ‘Big Ears Teddy’ and allegations of sexual violence

© 2014 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.