Two killed, at least four injured at west Edmonton warehouse; suspect captured

Above: The suspect in a multiple stabbing incident, 29-year-old Jayme Pasieka, was captured at 39 St. and 74 Ave. at approximately 5:15 p.m. following a massive manhunt. Tom Vernon reports.

EDMONTON –  Dozens of officers from around the city were called to the Loblaw warehouse at 161 St. and 121 A Ave, after a tragic incident involving an employee broke out just after 2 p.m.

“It’s alleged he went on a bit of a rampage in there,” said Duty Officer Malcolm Allan.

Police say two people have been killed, and at least four others injured after an employee of the warehouse came in, armed with two knives.

“It was like in movies, really,” said Aaron Nganatafam, a worker who was inside the warehouse Friday afternoon.

“He stabbed my supervisor here,” he added, motioning to his neck.

Story continues below advertisement

Above: Raw video from the scene

The suspect, 29-year-old Jayme Pasieka – who is known to police and was described by them as extremely dangerous – was captured at 39 St. and 74 Ave. around 5:15 p.m. following a massive manhunt.

Alberta Justice has confirmed Pasieka was sentenced in 2011 on convictions of assault with a weapon and uttering death threats, related to an incident that took place in 2009.

The suspect was found in south Edmonton Friday afternoon, sitting in his vehicle. Global News

“I can advise you that we’ve now taken this gentleman into custody on the south side, safely,” Allan said. “It was a very fluid, very dynamic afternoon.”

Story continues below advertisement

Pasieka was said to be operating a 1999 green, two-door Ford Explorer with the license plate KEL 155, which RCMP and Canada Border Services were asked to keep an eye out for.

In the end, it was a concerned citizen who spotted the vehicle and called police.

The vehicle was stationary and the suspect was sitting inside, according to Allan.

WATCH: Global 1 helicopter captures the take-down

Police say there’s still no indication of what motivated him.

“He wore some sort of either load-bearing vest or body armour during this incident, according to multiple witnesses,” said Allan. “So that suggests that there may have been some pre-planning, but again, it’s too early to say definitively.”

“I cannot understand what happened in his mind, really,” said Nganatafam, who believes Pasieka has worked at the warehouse for several years.

Above: More from witnesses 

Story continues below advertisement

One man described a frightening encounter he had with the suspect in the warehouse parking lot.

“I was right by my car and, unfortunately, his car was parked right beside mine. He said, ‘wanna get stabbed?'” the man recounted, his voice breaking up with emotion. “Couldn’t take it.”

Albert Ntabwoba had come to the warehouse around 1 p.m. to speak to the receptionist about a job.

“We went upstairs and I heard screaming people downstairs,” he said.

“She said, you know guys, something happen in here, it’s the first time. Sorry, we’re going to call you back on Monday.”

Above:  Raw video from the Global 1 News Helicopter of the scene

“It’s really sad, it’s a very sad afternoon,” said worker, Harry Sandhu, who saw the suspect take off in his vehicle.

Story continues below advertisement

“No sense to it at all.”

Charges are still pending in the incident.

Sponsored content