Etobicoke man faces 2nd degree murder charge in 2009 death of Christopher Skinner
Above: Lama Nicholas reports on the latest development in the 2009 killing of Christopher Skinner
TORONTO – A 23-year-old Etobicoke man has been arrested and charged with second degree murder in connection to the death of Christopher Skinner four years ago.
Police say Augustin Alexander Caruso was the driver of the black 2004 Ford Explorer that ran over the 27-year-old in downtown Toronto on October 18, 2009.
Investigators say there were six people in the car at the time of the incident, four men and two women.
“There will be further arrests in the case,” said Detective Sergeant Stacy Gallant during a press conference Thursday morning. “Anyone who assisted in any way in the events that led to the death of Christopher Skinner will be held in account.”
“Potentially everyone in the vehicle could [be charged]… if they assisted in any way.”
Last month, police provided further details regarding the case and identified the make, model and colour of the SUV involved.
Skinner was killed after attempting to hail a cab on Adelaide Street in the city’s entertainment district around 3 a.m.
Police say he may have “inadvertantly” come into contact with a passing vehicle when some of the occupants got out and assaulted him.
The vehicle then proceeded to fatally run him over.
Skinner’s parents, who were also in attendance at the police press conference, said the arrest is bitter sweet for family and friends.
“This doesn’t do anything to bring Christopher back,” said Skinner’s mother Ellen. “This starts a whole new chapter of agony and pain we have to go through.”
The accused is scheduled to appear in court Thursday.
Det. Sgt. Gallant said the black SUV has been seized from Caruso’s home and authorities don’t believe the murder was a hate crime.
Last year, police announced an additional $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for Skinner’s death.
The family has already collected over $100,000 to offer as a reward.
Skinner’s family has set up a Facebook page and started a social media campaign using the hashtag #findchriskiller to try to help further the investigation.
© 2013 Shaw Media