July 15, 2013 2:41 pm
Updated: March 23, 2014 12:34 pm

One week later, Lac-Megantic residents struggle to regain normalcy

Pierrette Turgeon-Blanchet, left, is silhouetted inside the Sainte-Agnes church speaking to local resident Serge Rouillard, who was evacuated after the train crash blaze in Lac-Megantic, Que., Monday, July 15, 2013.

Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press

LAC-MEGANTIC, Que. – A town struggling to regain its normal routine began the work week under abnormal circumstances Monday.

Lac-Megantic residents were slowly returning to their daily schedules, more than a week after the tragedy that killed an estimated 50 people and wiped out the town centre.

Read More: Global News’ ongoing coverage of the Lac-Megantic explosion

Story continues below
Global News

Many shops and restaurants on the town’s main street were open again after a portion of the security perimeter was lifted late last week.

One local businessman had even gotten a head start on that process.

Claude Charron started looking for a commercial space for rent the morning after the explosions, when he learned his pharmacy would be closed indefinitely. He opened the new location a day later.

The makeshift pharmacy remains a work in progress.

A piece of plywood serves as the back wall and the cramped space, which is set to be expanded, could barely accommodate all those picking up their prescriptions Monday.

Nevertheless, Charron said, people appreciate the effort.

“I think I’ve never been hugged this often in all my life,” he said.

“It took me two-and-a-half hours to do the groceries because everyone was talking to me.

“It’s very sad for all the people that died but life goes on for all the patients.”

At the nearby industrial park, just east of where the train derailed, work had resumed at the garages and small manufacturers.

Steve Charrier, the owner of a heavy-machinery repair shop, is hopeful this week will be a little easier.

“Last week, I’d say everything felt really heavy,” said Charrier, adding that several of his employees knew someone who died in the accident.

“We have to move forward somehow.”

There’s still a heavy police presence in town, however, and the area blocked off by a high, black fence serves as constant reminder of the tragedy that hit the town.

Authorities have recovered 35 bodies and they continued to sift through the rubble Monday.

The tragedy prompted a moment of silence during a cabinet shuffle in Ottawa.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his ministers paid that solemn tribute at Rideau Hall, before the new cabinet was sworn in.

Anabelle Bouchard’s flower shop is only steps away from the security perimeter, and it has been busy since it was allowed to reopen on Friday.

Bouchard said she’s been getting a lot of business from those on their way to the church across the street, which has become a gathering place for residents.

She said she contacted social services to suggest they have people present in the area to help them cope with the trauma and grief.

“On the weekend it was very hard, but you can see people are trying to get back to business,” she said.

Brian Counter, a construction worker employed by the town, was working with a crew Monday to fill a patch of road near the where the accident happened.

It was nice to do work on something unrelated to the accident, Counter said.

“Things are not normal at all,” he said.

“I’ve been working since Saturday on the site where the accident happened. Now we’re trying to recover and do the normal job we’re used to doing, but it’s tough.”

© The Canadian Press, 2013

Report an error

Comments