SASKATOON – Memorial marches were held across the country on Sunday in memory of indigenous women and girls who have been the victims of violence. At city hall in Saskatoon, several hundred gathered looking for more action from the government.
Many in the crowd said they have been touched by the tragedy.
Saskatoon police Chief Clive Weighill was in attendance and told the crowd that reducing poverty would help.
“We unfortunately have a lot of first nations, metis people living in poverty … and I think that’s what we really need to work on if we’re going to get a head of this,” said Weighill.
Ottawa has already announced it will be holding a national inquiry.
“I think an inquiry needs to happen and it can’t just be political. I think we need people of the community, people of the organizations to also be involved in that,” said Nichole Yamchuk, the organizer of the march in Saskatoon.
A pre-inquiry consultation was held in Saskatoon last week, giving federal ministers the opportunity to meet with families of murdered and missing indigenous women.
Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett and Status of Women Minister Patty Hajdu are to wrap up consultations with a final meeting today in Ottawa.
The federal government hopes to have the inquiry up and running by the summer.
With files from The Canadian Press
© 2016 Shaw Media