November 25, 2014 4:31 pm
Updated: November 25, 2014 7:51 pm

Jian Ghomeshi drops lawsuit against CBC


WATCH: Disgraced broadcaster Jian Ghomeshi has dropped his $55 million lawsuit against the CBC. Christina Stevens reports.

TORONTO – Former Q host Jian Ghomeshi has withdrawn his lawsuit alleging defamation and breach of confidence against the CBC.

CBC spokesman Chuck Thompson said “the civil suit has been dismissed with costs in favour of the CBC” but the agreement reached between lawyers for the CBC and Ghomeshi is still subject to finalization through a court order, expected in the near future.

Story continues below
Global News

Thompson said Ghomeshi is expected to pay $18,000 in legal costs to the CBC, but told Global News the grievance filed by Ghomeshi through the Canadian Media Guild is “still in play.”

The CBC fired Ghomeshi, 47, on Oct. 26 after seeing what it called “graphic evidence” that he had caused physical injury to a woman.

READ MORE: Why don’t victims or bystanders report sexual assault?

Ghomeshi, who faces no charges, admitted in a lengthy Facebook post to having a history of rough sex but insisted his encounters with women were consensual.

Since then, multiple women came forward to the Toronto Star and CBC with allegations of physical violence without consent during sexual encounters or the run-up to such encounters. Toronto Police are investigating at least three of the complaints.

READ MORE: Jian Ghomeshi, ‘Big Ears Teddy’ and allegations of sexual violence

Global News has reached out for comment from Ghomeshi numerous times, with no response.

Ghomeshi announced his intention to file the lawsuit Oct. 26 through his lawyers Dentons Canada LLP.

“The action will claim general and punitive damages for among other things, breach of confidence and bad faith in the amount of $ 50 million,” read a statement from a Rock-It Promotions spokesperson in October. “Concurrently, Mr. Ghomeshi will commence a grievance for reinstatement under his collective agreement.”

The lawsuit was filed Oct. 27 and upped to $55 million, plus special damages, alleging breach of confidence, bad faith and defamation by the public broadcaster.

READ MORE: Timeline – Sex assault allegations arise after CBC fires Jian Ghomeshi

CBC asked a court to dismiss the lawsuit Nov. 5, calling the claim “without merit” and an abuse of the court’s process.

With files from The Canadian Press

© 2014 Shaw Media

Report an error
Global News